The temperature is dropping and my meals are getting cheesier and grainier.
This warm cheesy grain and vegetable bowl is the definition of healthy comfort food. There’s a little bit of everything … Millet + quinoa + mushrooms + spinach + roasted veg (carrots, purple potatoes, beets) + raisins + pepper jack cheese + pomegranate !!
This is a favorite in my house becuase everything is “bound” together, you hand take one spoonful and everything sticks together for one wholesome bite! If you make too much, this meal taste just as good when you warm it back up.
P.s. What makes the grain CRAZY good is that they’re cooked in veggie broth!!
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of millet
- 3 cup veggie broth
- 1 tbsp of white miso (optional)
- 5 carrots
- 4 medium purple potatoes
- 4 beets
- 2 cups mushrooms
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 3 cups of spinach
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese (or more)
- Olive oil (for sautéing)
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Cook quinoa and millet in a large pot as directed on package, but swap water for veggie broth. Optional: Stir in a tbsp of white miso
- Chop carrots, medium purple potatoes and beets into bite size pieces. Toss in olive oil, salt and pepper & roast at 330 degrees for 30 minutes, then turn up to 400 degrees for another 10 minutes.
- In a very large pan, sauté mushrooms in olive oil for 5 - 10 minutes. Add raisins, spinach & the cooked quinoa / millet. Cook until the spinach has wilted (while shuffling everything around). Add the roasted veg, pepper jack cheese & salt/pepper (to taste). Fold everything together & cook until cheese has melted.
- Divide between 4 bowls & top off with a tbsp of pomegranate seeds each.