This Indian inspired dish with a seasonal twist is packed with incredible spices and superfoods.
Today we’ve got this incredible spicy lentil dahl (with chicken, butternut squash and brussels sprouts). I already had leftover roasted brussels sprout, butternut squash and chicken breast in my fridge and rather then using them to make a salad for lunch (like I always do), I made something much more satisfying. (You can use a range of leftovers, like roasted potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, corn, peas, etc.)
I enjoyed this meal with some greens and a slice of naan. It’s ab incredibly comforting dish, and is packed with nutritiously dense ingredients.
Feast on this dahl with a group of friends/family, or make it for yourself & pack it for lunch (it only gets more delicious over time, as the spices get richer with time).
Serves: Serves 4
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 red onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped ginger
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp each - ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt
- ¼ tsp each - ground cardamom, cinnamon, cayenne pepper
- 4 tsp red curry paste
- 1 cup roasted brussels sprouts
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash
- 1.5 cup cooked chicken (cut into strips)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Handful of arugula
- Pinch of cilantro leafs
- Add the sesame oil, red onion, garlic and ginger to a large pot & cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent (stirring often).
- Add water/broth, lentils, cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, cinnamon, cardamon, cayenne and curry paste to the pot & reduce heat to medium low. Cook for about 30-40 minutes (or until the lentils are tender). Stir occasionally.
- Fold in roasted brussels sprouts, roasted butternut squash, cooked quinoa, cooked chicken, then cook for another 10 minutes over very low heat
- Serve with arugula and cilantro folded in