Ok. Ok. This is no ordinary waffle.
Not only is it a savory waffle … it’s a savory rye waffle .. with PESTO! and EGGS! and CHEESE! Zomg these waffles are so gooood & the perfect brunch after a good workout.
The waffles taste slightly nutty, but are still super fluffy on the inside & crunchy on the outside. These waffles can be topped with anything.. yogurt and fruit, hummus and cheese, etc. But whatever you do, you’ve GOT to try this pesto feta egg combo. So. Delicious.
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups soy milk (or other nut milk)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oil (I used evoo)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
Toppings (per waffle)
- 1 tbsp pesto
- 1 radish - sliced
- a pinch of fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta
- 1 soft boiled egg
- pinch or everything bagel seasoning
- Waffles: Sift the flours, baking soda and salt together, then mix in the rest of the waffle ingredients. Cook in a waffle maker for about 4 minutes each (or until golden brown). This made about 6 large waffles, so I froze some for later (then toast em when it's time to eat)!
- Serve warm with all of the topping piled on!