Every winter I get a little obsessed with oatmeal…
All I want is a big warm bowl when it’s dark and cold, and this pistachio apple steel cut oats hit the spot! The trick to awesome oats is to cook them low and slow in almond milk, vanilla and cinnamon. They get super fluffy and gooey when you make them with love on the stove top.
For this bowl I added in more almond milk at then end to make it more “cereal” like. I enjoy doing this sometimes, because this is how I always had oatmeal as a kid… so it’s a bit nostalgic for me. But if you like firm oats, just leave this bit out!
Serves: 2 bowls
- ½ cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 apple - cut into triangles
- Handful of crushed pistachios
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp bee pollen
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Additional almond milk (optional)
- Cook the steel cut oats slowly in almond milk, vanilla and cinnamon over medium-low heat in a small pot for about 10 minutes (or until the oats are soft).
- Transfer the oats to bowls and folded in plain yogurt. Top it off with apple slices, crushed pistachios, hemp seeds, bee pollen and chia seeds.
- Add additional almond milk for a milkier more "cereal" like bowl (optional!)