This toast featured some beautiful mushrooms. I started with a slice of Sicilian green olive & hot cherry pepper bread from When Pigs Fly (my favorite bread bakery in Boston), then spread a generous amount of quinoa pesto from Trader Joe’s. Next came the mushrooms, which were sautéed in some olive oil, salt and pepper then piled high on the bread & drizzled with balsamic glaze. Trying to eat this with any type of table manners is out of the question (especially since eating toast with a fork and knife is just plain wrong). Get your hands dirty & get ready for some (really tasty) flying mushrooms.
Serves: 2 slices
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Cup of raw mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon of salt & pepper
- 2 Slices of your favorite bread (I used hot cherry pepper bread from When Pigs Fly)
- 2 Tablespoons Pesto (I used quinoa pesto from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic glaze
- Heat a pan over medium heat & add the olive oil. Once hot, add mushrooms salt & pepper. Cook for about 7 minutes, or until mushrooms have changed color. Remove from heat.
- Toast your desired bread & spread pesto on each slice. Pile the mushrooms evenly on east slice, then drizzle with balsamic glaze. Cut each slice in half and enjoy while warm.