So simple. So good. Making your own tomato sauce is worlds better than anything you can buy in a store, plus it’s oh so easy! Then you can lighten up this dish & get some extra veggies in by subbing half of the pasta for some spiralized zucchini!
- 4 oz cooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 large raw zucchini - spirlaized
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- a few fresh basil leafs
Homemade tomato sauce
- ½ onion - diced
- olive oil - for sauteeing
- 4 tomatoes - cut into quarters
- 2 cloves of garlic -minced
- ½ tsp each - salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- handful of fresh basil
- To make the sauce heat a sauce pan over medium heat, sauté the onion in olive oil. Once fragrant, add the tomatoes and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Smash the tomatoes with a wooden spoon & add garlic, salt and pepper, then stir. Let sit for another 10 minutes. Smash tomatoes again, then stir in the tomato paste and fresh basil. Let sit for another 10 minutes. Stir again and remove from heat. You can either keep the sauce chunky or smoothen it out in a food processor (like I did).
- Divide the spaghetti and zucchini between 2 bowls & top with a generous amount of sauce, parmesan and fresh basil leafs