Making oats always brings me back to my childhood
When I was growing up both my mom & dad had full time jobs, so my great grandmother, Ita (her actual name is Gloria, but I’ve called her Ita since I was 2), lived with us to help my parents out. Ita would braid my hair before school, make sure I got on the school bus and make me a bowl of oats for breakfast. There was nothing better than digging into a bowl of her signature oatmeal (or “avena” as we call it, as she is Spanish speaking). She would devote her time to making avena, by cooking them over low heat and stirring them with love until they reached this amazing fluffiness, sweetened with just the right amount of brown sugar and cinnamon. Nobody else could make avena like she could.
The love and care that she puts into everything she makes has shaped the way I do things. This banana cinnamon almond oats recipe is inspired by Ita’s avena–it’s my twist on a childhood classic.
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup milk (or other nut milk)
- 1 tsp cinnamon + more for topping
- 1 tsp maple syrup + more for topping
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds + more for topping
- ½ banana - sliced
- 1 tbsp sprouted hemp seeds
- In a small pot, combine the oats, milk, cinnamon and maple syrup & cook over super low heat. Let the oats cook, stirring them frequently.
- Once they are smooth & gooey (about 10 minutes), transfer to a bowl & stir in the greek yogurt. Then, carefully fold in the sliced almonds.
- Top with banana slices, more sliced almond, cinnamon, a drizzle of maple syrup and sprouted hemp seeds!