Chocolate and caramel for breakfast? Sign me Up
I don’t know about you, but I am definitely a person who love a sweet breakfast, and this healthy chocolate caramel oatmeal recipe just sounds like a dream. The healthy caramel is made with maple syrup, coconut oil and almond butter. It’s so tasty and also packs in some nutrition. You have to give this recipe a go if you are a chocolate and caramel person!
Healthy Chocolate Caramel Oatmeal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1½ cup plant based milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal – optional
- ¼ cup vegan dark chocolate chunks
- flakey sea salt – for topping
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- Combine the rolled oats and water, let sit for 10 minutes (optional, but makes for creamier, fluffier oats). I like to do this in the pot, so that I don't dirty more bowls.
- While that is sitting, make the caramel by melting the coconut oil in a glass container. Add in the maple syrup and almond butter, stir until combined. Set aside.
- Continue making the oats by adding in the milk and cook everything in a pot over medium low heat. Stir in the cocoa, vanilla and flax seed meal. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Once nice and fluffy, split the oatmeal between 2 bowls.
- Top the oats with the caramel you prepared and top each with chocolate chunks and a pinch of flakey sea salt