Never made dumplings before? This recipe is an easy way to start
Homemade vegetable dumplings are easier to make than you might think…. a little time consuming, yes … but not very complicated.
These carrot mushroom cabbage dumplings have a filling that has marinated in a sesame ginger sauce! There’s no better time to try these out than when you’re house-bound
carrot mushroom cabbage dumplings
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger – minced
- 1 tbsp garlic – minced
- 3 cups carrots – shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage – shredded
- 1 cup vegan ground beef (optional)
- 1 cup mushrooms – chopped
- 1 cup leaks – chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cup water
- 2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, red chili sauce, fresh ginger & garlic. Let’s sit for about 10 minutes, then add in the cabbage, carrots, vegan ground beef mushrooms and leeks. set aside while you make the dough.
- In another bowl combine the flour, salt and water and then transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide the dough into quarters, then roll each quarter into a cylinder and cut into eighths (or smaller/larger depending on how big you want your dumplings). Take each piece and roll it into a circle on a floured surface using a rolling pin. Once you’ve rolled out all of the dough into circles, take about a tablespoon of the veggie filling & place it inside the dough. Using your fingers, wet the inside of half of the perimeter of the dough and then fold shut (watch a YouTube video or two on how to do this, it makes it a lot easier).
- Once all of the dumplings are folded heat a pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil, fill the pan with as many dumplings as you can without them touching. Cook them for a minute or two (or until they’ve started to crisp underneath), then add a splash of water and cover. Let them steam for about five minutes). Eat them warm with a simple dipping sauce (I just whisked some soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar & chili flakes together! )