Here’s a rich, flavorful & protein-packed Indian inspired recipe for you! You can feel good inside and out about this naturally plant based meal. It’s a real crowd pleaser, I’ve made it for my family a handful of times, and everybody is always excited for come comforting Indian food. I paired the curry with some cauliflower rice and toast here, but you can always use regular jasmine rice or some naan.
Pro tip: Double the recipe & have it again for lunch tomorrow (the spiced only get better with time)
Red Lentil Dahl with Cauliflower Rice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion – finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ginger – fresh is always best
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- salt to taste
- 28 oz canned diced tomato
- 2 cup red lentils – rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cup mylk – I used hemp milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups Cauliflower rice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp coriander
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro – roughly chopped
- 1 cup plain coconut yogurt
- Toast (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot add the onion and garlic & cook for a few minutes or until the onion starts to soften. Add the turmeric, coriander, cumin, ginger, cilantro, and a big pinch of salt & combine. Cook for another few minutes, until fragrant. Add the canned tomato and lentils, mix well & cover. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable broth & mylk, stir well & cover. Simmer for another 10 minutes (or until the lentils are fully cooked).
- While the dahl is finishing up, prepare the cauliflower rice by heating up the oil in a pan. Once hot, add the remaining ingredients & combine. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the cauliflowers gets some color.
- To serve, divide the cauliflower rice and dahl between 4 bowls & then top with peanuts, cilantro & coconut yogurt. Serve with toast if you like!