Autumn is in full swing , there is an abundance of squash and I’m loving it! All I want to do when I get home after a long day is cozy up with something fresh out of the oven.
This recipe is so easy to throw together, plus it’s such a crowd pleaser… everyone loves a lil tex mex!
Tex Mex Squash Boats
- 1 delicata squash You can use butternut, acorn, etc.
- salt & pepper to tast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup black beans cooked & rinsed
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup Leafy greens spinach, arugula, kale will all work
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
- handful cilantro roughly chopped
Avocado Yogurt dressing
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt I used soy yogurt
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup fresh cilantro washed & roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To roast the squash, cut in half lengthwise & scoop out the seeds ( I've found that using an ice cream scooped is the easiest way). Drizzle olive oil inside the squash, spread evenly & sprinkle salt and pepper. Place them on a baking sheet (open side up) and bake for 30-45 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked quinoa, black beans, chopped cherry tomatoes, greens and sliced avocado.
- Blend all of the ingredients for the avocado dressing on high for a minute.
- Scoop the mixture into the middle of the squash, top with cilantro, sprinkle with hemp seeds and avocado yogurt dressing! Enjoy!