So simple. So good. Making your own tomato sauce is worlds better than anything you can buy in a store, plus it’s oh so easy! Then you can lighten up this dish & get some extra veggies in by subbing half of the pasta for some spiralized zucchini!
A Lighter Spaghetti with Homemade Tomato Sauce
Servings: 2 servings
- 4 oz whole wheat spaghetti - cooked
- 1 large zucchini - spiralized
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
Homemade tomato sauce
- ½ onion - dinced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tomatoes - cut into quarters
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh basil
- To make the sauce heat a sauce pan over medium heat, sauté the onion in olive oil. Once fragrant, add the tomatoes and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Smash the tomatoes with a wooden spoon & add garlic, salt and pepper, then stir. Let sit for another 10 minutes. Smash tomatoes again, then stir in the tomato paste and fresh basil. Let sit for another 10 minutes. Stir again and remove from heat. You can either keep the sauce chunky or smoothen it out in a food processor (like I did).
- Divide the spaghetti and zucchini between 2 bowls & top with a generous amount of sauce, vegan parmesan and fresh basil.