I love nothing more than to spend time with family and friends, especially when it’s somebody else’s birthday (because then I have an excuse to bake a cake)! To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of the classic vanilla, chocolate or red velvet cakes. I’m more of a carrot or fruit cake type of girl (surprise, surprise). BUT, my ultimate favorite cake to make is this almond one… plus you can make the whole thing in a food processor.
- 1 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup cane sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 8 tbsp vegan butter - melted
- 3 eggs or egg replacer
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- dairy free whipped cream
- fresh fruit (I used figs, strawberries, cherries and blueberries)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the almonds, sugar, salt, and almond extract in the food processor and process until the nuts are finely pulverized. Add the coco butter and pulse. Add the eggs and process until thoroughly blended. Add the flour and baking powder and pulse just until incorporated, scraping the bowl once with a rubber spatula to be sure.
- Scrape the batter into a greased pan and spread it evenly. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the cake is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan on a rack.4. Let cool completely. Top with fresh whipped cream & fresh fruit.
- Let cool completely. Top with fresh whipped cream & fresh fruit.